Photos by H.T. "Bubby" Jackson, Jr. and Alva B. O'Brien


East Feliciana offers many interesting historical and tourist attractions.


For information on the
Annual Jackson Assembly Antique Show and Sale
Click image at left

McKowen's is on the National Register


The Republic of West Florida Historical Museum features military, aircraft, scientific and musical artifacts, along with native wildlife exhibits and a working railroad. Located on College Street in the heart of Jackson's Historic District.

Museum hours have recently changed. The museum is open
Saturdays 10am - 4pm and Sundays 1:30pm - 4:30pm


Centenary State Commemorative Area - Jackson, LA.
Shortly before the Civil War, 250 students and 11 faculty filled the beautiful campus of Centenary College. Now this historic site is set aside as a commemorative area. (This site has been placed on the National Register)
Phone 225-634-7925.

NOTE: The Centenary State Commerative site had been closed for some time. Recently, the State of Louisiana announced that it will re-open to the public again. Present operating hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 9 AM-5PM.


Visit the Historic Court House at Clinton Louisiana (c.1840)
Reputed to be the oldest courthouse in continuous use,
this National Historic Landmark is located on St. Helena Street.
The structure is enhanced by night lighting. 225-683-5145

Elysian Fields Farm offering horse and carriage rides.

VIsit our website at http:// elysian-fields-farm-horse-carriage.com

or email us at: elysian_fields_farm@yahoo.com for more information.

   
Greater Baton Rouge Model Railroaders complex in Jackson.
Open on the second and fourth Saturday of each month, year round, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free.
   
Lawyer's Row (c. 1840-1860) currently houses the Audubon Regional Library
as well as private businesses. The library has a Louisiana and genealogy collection and the building is also a National Historic Landmark. Located on Woodville St. in Clinton, LA.
Phone 225-683-8753

Oakland Plantation (c.1837), pivately owned Carolina-I style with original brick plantation kitchen. This site is on the National Register. 6165 Hwy. 963, 6 miles north of Jackson via LA 68. Open by appointment, groups of 20 or more. Phone 225-629-5960.

Old Feliciana Courthouse, Jackson, LA. (c 1816), 1752 High Street. Original
courthouse for the Feliciana Parishes is on the National Register..



Milbank began its history as the home of the Bank of Jackson. It later was used as a
dance hall and hotel. Furnished with museum quality antiques, this site is on the National Register and is open for tours.
 


Clinton Confederate Cemetery: State commemorative area located on Marston St. in Clinton, LA.

Jewish Cemetery: Monuments remain as a memorial to early cotton merchants. The
cemetery is located next to the Masonic Cemetery on Highway 10 East in Clinton

Rosehill Cemetery: Old South Drive in Clinton

 

CASA DE SUE WINERY
Come & taste the Grape of the South!
14316 Hatcher Road, Clinton, LA 70722
Phone 225 683-5937
http://www.casadesuewinery.com

 


 

 


 

Sillman Institute. Clinton, LA. (c.1840-1860). Previously a Female Collegiate Institute and served as a hospital during the Civil War. Currently in use as a private academy. Located on Bank Street in Clinton.

 

Fairview Plantation: (c.1830-1838) Highway 963 west of Clinton. Open by appointment,
groups of 20 or more. Phone 225-683-5223.

Richland Plantation (ca 1820)
Norwood, LA.

Richland Plantation is a private home built by Ellis Norwood for his bride. It is one of the most impressive Greek Revival homes in the Felicianas.

Gableton (ca. 1890)
Norwood, LA.

This private Victorian home is on the National Register.

Belle Haven (ca. 1840)
Private residence located in Norwood, LA.



Glencoe (ca. 1903)
Located 6 mi. north of Jackson on Highway 68.
Said to be one of the finest examples of Queen Anne architecture,
this home was first built in 1870. The home burned and was rebuilt,
exactly as the original, in 1903. It is listed on the National Register.


Stonehenge (ca. 1837)
This private residence, in CLinton, LA, was built by Lafayette Saunders who also designed the East Feliciana Parish Court House.

Pipes House (ca. 1904)
Located in Jackson, this private Victorian residence
is constructed of heart pine and cypress and has been
placed on the National Register.

Ellis Cottage (ca. 1840)
Has been restored with original doors and hardware.
Located in Jackson, this home has been placed on the
National Register.


Brame-Bennett House (ca. 1840)
This private residence, in Clinton, LA. is a Greek Revival structure
included in the American Buildings Survey. It has been placed on the
National Register.

The Fuqua House (ca. 1870)
located on Plank Road in Clinton LA. This restored private residence is constructed of heart pine and cypress


Roseneath (ca. 1832)
Jackson, LA. private residence is of the Greek Revival style and features a unique balcony
suspended between four fluted Doric columns. Roseneath has been placed on the National
Register.

First Baptist Church (ca. 1860)
Jackson, LA.
Colonial American architecture. All records have been carefully kept from the time the
church was established in 1835. Men and their mounts were hidden in the church during
the Civil War. This site is also on the National Register.

St. Andrews Episcopal Church (ca 1871)
Clinton, LA.
Beautiful Victorian Gothic style with lovely stained glass and original chandeliers. This
site has been placed on the National Register.

Presbyterian Church (ca 1901)
Norwood, LA.

Iva Norwood Store (ca. 1883)
Norwood, LA.

East Louisiana State Hospital
(center building and wings ca. 1848-1853)
Jackson, LA.

Considered to be one of the largest and most significant
Greek Revival buildings in Louisiana, it has been
placed on the National Register. The institution was one
of the first mental hospitals in the South.

First Baptist Church (ca 1852)
Clinton, LA.

Jackson Methodist Church (ca 1852)
This Gothic structure remains virtually unchanged since it served
the students of Centenary. It has been placed on the National Register.

Presbyterian Church (ca. 1852)
Located in Jackson, LA, this red brick Colonial, with excellent detail and beautifully proportioned windows, is on the National Register.

Marston House (ca 1837) Established as the Union Bank and constructed
by Henry Marston, this Greek Revival structure still has the original
bank vault. Currently home to the Garden Club, the house is rented for
private functions. Located on Bank Street in Clinton and listed on the
National Register.

Clinton Bank and Trust Lobby: Contains a large screen collage of East Feliciana Parish
depicting historical interests of the parish and flora. Brochures are available.
Located on St. Helena Street in Clinton. Phone 225-683-8450..

East Feliciana Parish Grape Harvest
Jackson, LA.

LSU Idelwild Research Station: Peach production, timber management, beef cattle and
wildlife management. Tours by appointment.Two miles east of Highway 67. Phone 225-683-5848.


REURN TO THE EAST FELICIANA PARISH HOME PAGE